28 January, 2007

A note from the UCCS armoire secretary/correspondence delegant.



(Being a slightly modified version of an uber telegraph sent to the founding chaps some time ago, suggesting the inception of some sort of modern archive for the UCCS, its events, and the gadabouts of its constituent flaneurs)

Good sirs,PERISH the notion that I would publish personal and intimate details of heretofore fellow chaps and yet strangers on something as vulgar as a blog, but I was concerned with retaining some sort of record of the witty repartee of chaps at large. For immortality's sakes, of course.
I do concure with Sir Furrier about the unfortunate nature of the word blog. I wrote to the OED some time ago to complain, in fact, and got the following as explanation:

Dear Ms. Marigold,
Thank you for your concerns about the naming of the Bi-purpose Linguistic (and) Orthographic Ghronicle. I'm afraid this acronym was arrived upon for expediency's sake, and since evolution seems to be moving in the directions of efficiency, we must ourselves recognize the cruciality that language follows suit.


Horrified at what seemed an egregious and most cataclysmic typo, I followed up with a letter querying the misspelling of what I could only assume was meant to be "chronicle", only to be once again humbled by those grand (thumpa thumpa) masters of our english language.

Dear Ms. Marigold.
The use of the G is purposeful, we assure you. It intimates that something more than a C is at hand, as the chronicle in a Bi-purpose Linguistic (and) Orthogrphic Ghronicle is rarely that of one person, but on occasion that of the peripheral characters in said person's life and environs as well.


Which brings me back to the UCCS, and my firm assurance that I will only ever use the chosen titles of fellow members when commenting on UCCS activities. I understand the nature of privacy most intimately, having a great many dire secrets myself, which I wouldn't wish my real name to be attached to in the presence of such civilized sorts.
Many thanks and Pip Pip.
Pippa.

No comments: